Just a Fish

Rest in peace, Mojito

His name was Mojito. He was just a fish. But I cried when he died.

Mojito lived a solitary life - as is the fate of the well-known Betta or Siamese Fighting Fish. But he went places. Actually he went to a place. He went to college with Brianna. Her school at the time, Rowan University, didn't consider a fish to be against their "no pet policy" for dorm life.

I mean it is just a fish. Not even considered a pet. But I'll be honest, our family is a little sad today. 

Mojito made us smile. Like his namesake, the popular rum drink, he was colorful, and feisty - true to his other name of "fighting fish". He'd been with us before and through the pandemic, living a little bit longer than we had expected. I started calling him Zombie Fish because I lost count of how many times I'd say - oh NO! Mojito! only to have Brianna or Huz come in or even my sister less than two weeks ago and fish whisper him back to life. 

He scared the daylights out of me every time I saw him just lying on the bottom of the tank. We couldn't be sure he was suffering, but what do you do for a fish? So we kept feeding him and changing the tank water and peeking to make sure he was still alive. 

It was hard to see him decline. I'm glad he's no longer suffering.

Rest in peace little guy.

Comments

Popular Posts