Making Connection


I am a tree hugger, but sometimes the tree hugs you

Every time I get the privilege to lead a yoga class, I have an opportunity to connect with my students. Today that is forefront in my mind. I'm reflecting back on the many ways I have connected with my students in the nearly three years since I got my 200hr-RYT certification.

There was the little girl from the Clifton Boys and Girls Club summer kids yoga program. After her first class she gave me this picture she colored, hugged me, and invited me to go on her family vacation. 

Love is all you need

There was also the adult student who upon learning I was taking a hiatus from teaching because of elder care issues, bid me farewell with the most touching email I have ever received. I will always remember it.

Then there are the hugs you feel without touching. The moment a student looks you in the eye and shares how they enjoyed the music, especially the one for savasana - because it reminded him of his mother, who had passed away. That look and smile when a student is spent physically, but is so grateful for the challenge. 

Connections like these recharge my batteries in an instant. They renew my love of teaching because I get to feel as though I have made some kind of impact, a positive one. I got a great recharge today from a student in my morning class. 

My dharma talk today centered on it finally being Spring. March isn't done with us yet and may live up to its "in like a lamb, out like a lion" reputation - but ahhh, it feels so nice.

It is spring: commence outdoor yoga-ing

Before class began, I talked to my group of yogis about how I admit to feeling a strange sense of accomplishment when winter releases its icy hold and lets the warmth in. I had nothing to do with it, but still. This, my favorite season, is recharging us. We see growth, renewed life, and the effortless progression of nature to sprout and bloom. 

At the end of class, I checked in with a new (to my class) student to see how she got on. She generously shared that the way I taught class made sense to her. We connected to the point that she told me as I invited the class to wiggle their lower jaw to avoid clenching the teeth, she wondered "how did you know"? 

And then with tears in her eyes, the conversation deepened further.

Lightning bolt level instant charge.

Make connections today - your batteries will thank you.


Comments

Popular Posts