Nonsense and other lessons

Today (March 2) is Dr. Seuss's birthday! My Timehop app reminded me that a couple of years ago, I had posted a quote of his on social media to honor this person who had a profound and amazing influence on my childhood mind. It goes like this,
“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities.”
― Dr. Seuss

I had a lot of nonsense in my life this morning - and so I shared this fact with the students I taught this morning. My dharma talk was brief, pointing out that once on your yoga mat, all nonsense blurs into the background. What matters is being present with your breath, your body, and your mind. Not bad for an on-the-fly share.

They didn't get the whole nonsense story - but you, dear reader, will.

It all started with a bad night's sleep. I tossed and turned for what felt like all night worried that I would oversleep and be late to teach. I had been asked to sub a class at a studio I haven't taught in since March of 2020. The stress dreams went on and on - all ending with my being ten minutes late and my eyes flying open to see it was only 2:30AM. Then 3:30AM. 4:30AM. Nonsense!

I woke up an hour before the alarm, because I was worried I would oversleep. And then I fell back to sleep and had another dream that I had overslept. My husband got up with me when the alarm finally did go off at 630 and dutifully made our coffee only to discover that we didn't have any cream! 

So I left the house without having had any coffee. Oh, the horror. 

I got to the studio with plenty of time thanks to GPS so there is a win in the no-nonsense category. But when I arrived, there was no karma yogi to open the studio. I had to text Julie who responded right away (as she always does BEST MANAGER EVER) and got me in the door. 

Thank goodness there was no alarm to disarm. That freaks me out every single time. Julie had asked me to turn the heat on, and to be honest, I didn't really remember how to do that. When I walked in the practice room I felt like it was pretty warm. And I knew that I would warm the yogi's up with moving so no worries. I move on to attach my phone and get the music playing. 

Students start arriving and I realize I don't know how to access system, so I let them know they'd be checked in remotely and I started class. Since there was no karma yogi I had to go back outside, having allowed a bit of time for stragglers to come in late and lock the door so that our belongings were protected. Once that distraction was resolved, I settled in and started teaching.
Ah... things were going along fine until I noticed that my playlist was going in REVERSE order. 

The slow songs for the calm of savasana started us off and then the energy of the music gradually built as we were cooling down. Opposite of how I intended! Nonsense!

Side note, the heat was not on, I forgot my watch at home, and a forgot a side during a sequence.

All in all, not the worst, but also not the best execution of a class - especially given that it was my debut there as a sub for the first time since the pandemic. The students were gracious and didn't seem upset, they seemed fine.

I leave the studio racing to the store to get cream - hoping I can get back in time to allow Huz to have a cup with the cream I just bought. While driving I got a telemarketing call, which distracted me. I missed my turn and then I took a wrong turn to go to this store that I've been going to for the past 15 years or so, I could drive there blindfolded. 

I get to the store, go inside and get the creamer. Thank goodness they had it in stock because it has sold out during the pandemic which by the way is NOT allowed to happen anymore. Nonsense!
I go to the self-checkout, because remember I'm rushing. Wouldn't you know it, my debit card didn't work. 
First, the card reader angry-buzzes at me CHIP MALFUNCTION - SWIPE.
Okay, so I swipe.
UNABLE TO PROCESS
I had to start over. Thinking I've outsmarted the machine, I swipe first.
CHIP REQUIRED
Put the chip in, denied. I'm like this is a $14 bill what the hell.
Third time's a charm. Finally, I get it to work and I got home without any issue after that. 
At this point, I was like - hey Doc, I'll pass on the nonsense. But I must recognize that normally I'd have said a few more curse words by this point in the story - and you'll notice I wrote only one. Looking back, I saw that I was pretty calm during all this nonsense - granted, all first-world problems - irritating though they may be. 

Everything is temporary - even nonsense.


Comments

Popular Posts