Quality Time of Service

Lucky me, I got to see my dear friend, AKA my work wife, Marianne yesterday. We were scheduled to make a presentation today for my bread and butter client's Team Days. I forgot how fun it was to work with her IN PERSON. It had been two years almost to the day since we were in the same room together for a company assignment, trade show, press event or work-related fun thing.

This is how you rooftop party, when you work with Marianne

If you're going to work, have fun doing it, right?

Celebrating a successful BIM conference
We went out for drinks and nibblies as I like to call the justified junk food commonly found during happy hour offerings after we finished up for the day. She asked if I had plans for my birthday. Let me tell you, there is no real plan. I have my usual Sunday schedule on tap, singing in the choir at 10 o'clock mass like I always do when I'm home. 
The view is pretty great

At noon, I have my regular yoga class. 

In no way am I bummed about this because both of those commitments are ones that I love to do. 

When I think about it, they're also acts of service. Obviously, teaching yoga is a paid service, but the teacher is there to be of service. My yin yoga guru (really everything yoga guru) Stacey Bell talks about getting props for students because in her mind, once a student sits down on their mat, they shouldn't have to get up again. The teacher is there to serve the students - the teacher needs to be of service. 

My participation in the St. Philip's Adult Choir is done on a volunteer basis - so if getting paid to teach yoga disqualifies my next statement so be it. One day a week I am of service to other people doing activities I really enjoy. The soprano section is a hoot, we laugh between songs, sometimes during them (mostly at rehearsal but sometimes the inappropriate church giggles take over). 

What better way to spend my birthday? Singing, giggling, teaching yoga... check, check, and check!

I mean, truth be told, I'm not shy about telling people it is my birthday - hence this blog. I love getting a wish to be happy. I will get to hear lots of people say happy birthday on my birthday to me. Getting the birthday texts and calls are great too - shout out to the dopamine hit that comes from all the social media tags too. But it's the in person happy birthday wish for me. 

Plus Brianna will be home, so really, what else do I need? Being with her this weekend will be quality time. Acts of service are quality time. Being with Marianne the day before yesterday was definitely quality time. Last week I got an overdose of quality time. I know this because I'm absolutely jonesing for more of it.  
Inject this into my veins

So, acts of service and quality time. Yeah, that's what I want for my birthday.



Comments

Popular Posts