Reining in Habit Energy

A 5-yr old Brianna and me on a horse

There's a funny little story told by the late Zen Master, Thich Nhat Hanh to describe a thing he called "habit energy". It goes something like this, 

A man is seen swiftly riding a horse through a village and a villager yells out, "where are you going?". The man answers, "I don't know... ask the horse!" 

It took an injury for me to "ask the horse" and realize that I often sit a certain way when I'm working at my desk.

I tuck my right leg under my left hip, putting pressure on my right ankle. That all changed in the days post-right ankle-ligament tear. Sitting in this position is no longer comfortable no matter how deeply ingrained the habit is. So I have been making an effort to sit another way recently.

Though my ankle isn't in pain, I'm not as comfortable. Yet my ankle is safe from added injury in this new unfamiliar position. Notice, I said "making an effort" to change how I'm sitting. In order to remember to sit a different way, I need to be mindful about it. 

Sounds simple, yes? 

No. 

I have sat down several times the "wrong" way only to have the pain in my ankle tell me I've made a mistake. Mindfully sitting is supposed to be something yoga teachers can do. No one said we were perfect at it, no human is.

He's awaiting your guidance

There's something cool about our horse - habit energy. It has reins. Just as we can control where the horse is going by tugging on the reins one way or another, we can control our habits with mindfulness. 

An uncontrolled horse will run where it wants to - so can our uncontrolled minds. Citta Vrtti - is a concept in yoga philosophy that names that wild horse running unchecked. It is your inner dialogue, your planning mind, the mind that runs through old conversations as you're trying to finish an assignment. Citta vrtti keeps you from being present in your life.

So where to begin in reining in this wild horse? The best place to start is with the breath. 

Here is a practice that will help you learn to observe your thoughts and keep them focused on the present moment. Think of it as taking up the reins as you sit on your horse. You aren't trying to guide the horse yet, you're just holding him still.

Sit comfortably. Back straight. Shoulders down. Feet flat on the floor if in a chair.

Close your eyes.

Notice your breath. No need to change it. Just observe it.

Begin to count each inhale and exhale - without letting your mind wander.

Inhale - one, exhale - one.

The moment your mind wanders off the breath - start over. It is okay if this happens because you have succeeded in noticing it happened at all. 

Try for three uninterrupted, observed breaths in a row without having to start over. Work up to five. Then ten.

The horse will wait patiently.



Comments

Popular Posts