Be Witness


If a tree falls in the woods and there's no one there to hear it fall, does it make a sound?

This is a question that occupied my little younger brother's (haven't been able to say little to describe him since I was like, 8 and he was 7) and my time a lot when we were growing up. We argued over it. A LOT. We're both blessed with the stubborn gene. 

Anyway - my YOUNGER brother and I would debate this question often. I maintained that no, it didn't make a sound because what is a sound if no one hears it? Such deep thoughts. I mean, "what is a sound?" 

His scientific and logical mind was like, duh - it is a vibration, it can be measured - and we'd go back and forth. Never got him to agree to my side of it, but hey, what the heck do I know? His argument made sense, but to me, without someone there to hear the noise, there just wasn't one. It needed a witness. 

Stop and think for a minute - how many things ask you to take notice of it in a particular moment of a particular day? It is a constant demand for attention, a necessary component of a witness. 

You know what's happening all day, every day, all night, every night that rarely gets your attention? 

You're breathing.

That's a miracle.

Witness it.


Comments

Popular Posts